What is Challenger Baseball?
- A program that provides an opportunity for children with cognitive and/or physical special needs to enjoy the full benefits of participating in baseball at a level structured to their abilities.
- Toronto Blue Jays, Jays Care Foundation, Baseball Canada and Little League Canada are working together for the betterment of Challenger Baseball in Canada. These groups, along with Baseball Nova Scotia, are also committed to developing Challenger Baseball throughout Nova Scotia.
- Provide opportunities for children with cognitive and/or physical special needs to play organized baseball.
- Show the community that children with special needs can play organized baseball/sports.
- Provide experiences that enhance the lives of children with special needs and their families.
- The program is aimed at helping children develop physical and social skills, build self-esteem, make new friends, meet other children and families in the community and become part of a team.
- Each participant is treated like every other minor baseball player.
- All players are provided a uniform and play their games at the local baseball fields.
- Buddies are assigned to each player to help provide a safe and enjoyable experience.
- The program is designed for children aged four to eighteen - with some flexibility.